Just started with the keto diet? Great!
Many people are very eager when they first embark on this crazy ‘diet’ journey on their quest to a new healthier version of their body.
This however, inevitably comes with some challenges you may not have thought of. One of these challenges is to change the meal composition as opposed to how you are used.
Since keto revolves around fat as your main source of energy your body will rely on, it will be harder to think of proper food combinations, especially for breakfast, for which most people crave more sweet foods than savory.
With some smart ingredient replacement however, you can easily recreate some of your favorite carbohydrate rich foods, but keto style meaning; Low carb, high (quality) fat, and a moderate amount of satiating, muscle building proteins.
I will present you with 3 quick keto breakfast ideas that will make your mornings a lot easier!(and more delicious 😉 ) These recipes will surely satisfy the sweet tooths among us!
Are Keto Breakfasts Hard To Make?
The short answer is no.
Because you are likely very used to only incorporating carbohydrates into your breakfast like cereals, high sugar yogurts and other sugar laden foods into your first meal of the day, your thought pattern is just very stuck in this loop (we are creatures of habit after all!)
By experimenting with new (keto approved) food combinations you will teach you taste palette to become accustomed to ketogenic foods and ingredients like avocado, berries, high fat dairy and eggs, just to name a few.
If you really miss the sweet edge with your breakfast, feel free to add a (natural) sweetener to your foods/drinks, just be careful with the dosage to avoid stomach issues.
First of all there are Keto pancakes, the ideal breakfast that has some reminiscence of a cheat meal, but these keto pancakes will be the exact nutritional opposite!
Sweetened with coconut flakes and baked in coconut oil. These pancakes will keep you full until lunch, at the very least.
They are tjok full of protein and high quality fats (eggs, MCT oil), as a bonus they are served within 20 minutes!
Serving size: 2 large pancakes
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- Baking Pan
- Eggs (2 per serving)
- MCT oil (1,5 tbsp)
- Coconut flour (3 tbsp)
- Coconut milk (50 ml)
- Baking soda (half a teaspoon)
- Himalayan salt ( a pinch)
- Erythritol (2 tbsp)
- Cinnamon (1 teaspoon)
- Liquid vanilla extract (1 teaspoon)
- 90% chocolate chunks (50 grams, optional)
1. Whisk the eggs in the bowl.
2. Add the cinnamon, vanilla extract, salt & erythritol.
3. Add the coconut flour, coconut milk and MCT oil and stir well.
4. Optionally, this is the point where you add the chocolate chunks.
5. Melt the coconut oil in the baking pan.
6. Check the mixture; if it is too thick add some coconut milk for more creaminess, or water if your prefer. If it is too runny, add half a tablespoon of coconut flour and check if the consistency of the mixture is better.
7. Add the mixture to the baking pan and bake the pancakes around 3 minutes per side for a nice baked golden pancake.
Serving tip! Top the pancake with any type of berry, since berries are so low in carbs you don’t have to count the carbs!
Strawberry Yogurt & Fruit with a Twist!
An ideal breakfast that can be whipped up literally within minutes. Yogurt is very nutritious and creamy base for this sweet breakfast.
Serving size: 1 Large bowl
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: N/A
- Full fat Greek yogurt (300 grams)
- Keto meal replacement shake(strawberry flavor)
- 1 whole avocado
- Strawberries (150 grams)
1. Scoop the Greek yogurt in a bowl
2. Add a scoop of Ketologic meal replacement shake.
3. Add water to the mixture and stir well until you have a smooth paste.
4. Chop the avocado and mix it in the blender
5. Add the avocado mixture to the Greek yogurt and stir well.
6. Slice the strawberries in halves, peel the kiwi and slice in thin slices. Proceed by topping the yogurt mixture with them.
Keto Breakfast Omelet
This recipe is for those of you that prefer a savory breakfast. You can load up the omelet with numerous of vegetables and spices. The ones in the recipe below is the way I like it, but by all means, feel free to experiment yourself!
Serving size: 1 omelet
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 8 minutes
- Baking pan
- Butter (30 grams)
- 3 eggs
- Bell peppers
- Himalayan salt
- Black pepper
1. Mix the 3 eggs in a bowl and add salt, pepper and rosemary to you liking.
2. Melt half of the butter in the baking pan.
3. Cut the broccoli into tiny pieces. Cut the bell peppers into slightly chunkier pieces.
4. Add the egg mixture to the baking pan.
5. Melt the other half of the butter in the second pan, add the vegetables and stir-fry until the vegetables are soft.
6. Bake the egg mixture for 3/4 minutes then turn around and bake the other side for another 3/4 minutes as well.
7. Serve the omelet with the vegetables on top.
Keto Can Be Simple and Quick!
Understandably you will miss your old way of eating sooner rather than later when following a weight loss lifestyle like the ketogenic diet.
The challenge lies in finding suitable alternative foods and ingredients that are compatible with keto, but still allow you to enjoy the food that you eat. It can be hard, but it is certainly doable, as demonstrated with the delicious recipes above!
Using This ‘Formula’ On Other Ingredients
These are just a few examples of what you are able to whip up with the keto diet in mind, in less than 30 minutes.
Even with these three recipes alone you are able to switch up some ingredients and you will have a new variation, leading to endless possibilities.
I have created these recipes not just to give you ideas for your mornings, but also to show you that following a healthy diet that produces results doesn’t have to take hours of meal prep, in fact it can be quicker than unhealthy western diet style breakfasts.
Let me know which of these easy recipes you are most excited to try out! If you have any keto breakfast ideas you are excited to share, please feel free to do so in the comments!